- American Standard Code for Information Interchange.
- Computer can understand only numbers.
- ASCII is the numeric representation of a character.
A string function that converts an int ASCII code to a character.
Return type is CHAR.
Expression is integer value i.e. range from 0 to 255
SELECT CHAR(97) AS [ASCII Character of Number 97]
SELECT ASCII(‘a’) AS [ASCII Number of Character a]
SELECT CHAR(65) AS [ASCII Character of Number 67]
SELECT ASCII(‘A’) AS [ASCII Number of Character A]
- Characters Set 0-31First 32 Characters in the ASCII table are unprintable.
- Characters Set 32-127Characters from 32-127 are common for all which represent letters, digits, punctuation marks & miscellaneous symbols.
- Character Set 128-255Characters from 128-255 contains the Microsoft Latin-1 extended characters.
–Example to display All Number & ASCII characters
;WITH AllNumbers AS
SELECT 0 AS First_No
SELECT First_No as [Numbers],
CHAR(First_No) as [ASCII Value]
OPTION (MAXRECURSION 255)
Syntax in Oracle
CHR(expression [using NCHAR_CS])
Syntax in IBM DB2, Sybase
HostForLIFE.eu SQL Server 2016 Hosting
HostForLIFE.eu is European Windows Hosting Provider which focuses on Windows Platform only. We deliver on-demand hosting solutions including Shared hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Dedicated Servers, and IT as a Service for companies of all sizes.