In this article I want to describe the steps how to migrate SSRS Database to another server using same database release. For example, I want migrate from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2008.
1. Install Database and Reporting Services on target server. If you have just database service installed , you can add Reporting Service by running SQL Server Installation Center:
Follow the steps and check Reporting Services box for installation.
2. Backup Reporting Service databases on source server, for me they are: ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB.
3. Backup Encryption Key on source server. Run Reporting Services Configuration Manager:
Connect to the Reporting Server –> Go to the Encryption Keys section and click Backup button.
It will ask you for the password , which will be needed for the restoration on target server.
4. Restore ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases(backed up in the 2-nd step) with the overwrite option on the target server.
5. On target server go to the Reporting Services Configuration Manager –> Encryption Keys section and restore the key. (Enter the password, when prompted, which you have indicated during backup of the key on source server )
NOTE: In Database section reporting service should point to the database named ReportServer .
You should now navigate to the reporting service address: http://target_server_hostname:80/Reports.
Hopefully this article can help you.